Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Here's the answer

Just a PS to my last post about the disastrous mis-use of the emergency numbers.

One of the comments was:

Rose in Dubai said...

My problem is, if you need the police and you're not anywhere near a phone book what number do you use? Its not a number I carry in my head, or on my phone for that matter (maybe I should).

Maybe another easy number for non-emergencies would be a good idea??


I have the answer in my wallet, credit card size, but I can't remember how I came by it.





Brilliant.

But the job was only half done.

The information prepared in easy-to-carry form and it was obviously available because I got hold of one.

This is something that should be part of the public awareness campaign I was talking about.

It should be printed in millions and freely available everywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, that's useful but only if you know where you are in relation to the nearest police station.

I was once advised by a policeman in the UK that you should always ring 999 for the police because that way they could direct the nearest officer to the situation - because the 999 section had direct access to all the police radios. If I dialed the local police station they only had access to their own guys.

Seabee said...

But that means non-emergency calls are clogging up the emergency system Rose. And it seems the police here and in the UK are advising people to do it!