Saturday, September 02, 2006

The world has gone completely mad.

A friend in Sydney drew my attention to a story in the Sydney Daily Telegraph. A few highlights...

Have they gone completely potty?

TOM Cruise and Katie Holmes have yet to show their baby daughter off in public, but eager fans were given an unusual preview today with what's claimed to be a bronze cast depicting her first solid stool.



The scatological sculpture – more doodoo than Dada – is purportedly cast from 19-week-old Suri's first bowel movement and will be shown at the Capla Kesting gallery in Brooklyn, New York, before being auctioned off for charity.

"A bronzed cast of baby's first poop can be a meaningful memento for the family," gallery director David Kesting said, adding that he hoped the work would attract bids of up to $US25,000 ($A32,793) or $US30,000 ($A39,352).

No-one could be more cynical than me about the way the world is going, but even so I continue to be amazed on a daily basis.

Somebody please tell me this is a spoof, a wind-up.

Sept. 3. UPDATE

Yes folks, it's a wind-up. Huge sigh of relief. Thanks to halfmanhalfbeer for the detective work.

I checked the link I put above and got "Page not found". But they've forgotten to take the item out of their archive page where it still shows the following linked teaser:

Have they gone completely potty?
TOM Cruise and Katie Holmes have yet to show their baby daughter off in public, but fans were given an unusual preview today with what's claimed to be a bronze cast depicting her first poop.


8 comments:

caz said...

Hello Seebee,
Frankly, I l think too much money adulation, religion,and is a legend in his own lifetime.

I don't think he lives in the real world any more and if he is not certifiable yet, I am sure he very soon will be.

One can only imagine that the next step is to have copies made of the object and given to every member of Oprah Winfrey's audience.

Seabee said...

The odd nutter like TC I can deal with, what disturbs me is the fact that most of the world is in the sort of 'celebrity' worshipping frenzy that creates this kind of insanity.

nzm said...

That came out of a small baby? I don't think that it's old enough to be excreting solids that big!

halfmanhalfbeer said...

Seabee: my first reaction on reading this was to arm myself with a very large calibre hunting rifle but having looked into it I am oh so very, very, very relieved to report that it is not 'real'. See the following linky:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/08/31/artist_mocks_celebrity_obsession_with_su

HMHB

Seabee said...

HMHB, thank you for that. I'm relieved!

I particularly liked the gallery's commment: "It's partially a statement on modern media that celebrity poop has more entertainment value than health, famine or other critical issues facing society and governments today."

Tainted Female said...

Question… When people (even groups) are perfectly capable of making themselves look certifiable, why do others insist on fabricating stuff or ‘proof’ that’s just a little more over the edge?

I'm glad this is a spoof. But can't help but question the motives of those behind it.

Seabee said...

tainted, I couldn't agree more. I think they're worse than the people they're sending up.

Felicity Grace said...

I think it's a little scary how people 'buy' this propaganda. Anyone with a newborn could see that is not baby poop! Seriously, why is TC a nutter? He is represented in the media by real nutters who are obsessed with celebrity. The sort of nutters who make this up but - excuse the pun - the s**t sticks to the celebrity they target.