Friday, February 01, 2008

It's a stay indoors day

The Met Office said gale force winds and sandstorms would start overnight, and they sure got that right.

It's awful out there.

Dubai Marina...


Al Sufouh Road...


Burj Al Arab beach...


What amazed me was what people were doing in it - paragliding off Umm Suqeim beach - lunacy in these winds.

A jogger on Al Sufouh Road - any benefit from the jog would be more than destroyed by the kilo of dust she'd breathe into her lungs.

And whether I'm being sandblasted or not, I'm having my day on the beach!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Talk about a weird weather year...

i*maginate said...

Gladly spent the day indoors. Nice photos, you always do a great job informing the public

* said...

Ooh Its cold! I live so near the corniche, and this wind that blows of the cold sea and then comes my way. Freaky weather. But you know something.
IM LOVING EVERY MOMENT of it. But thats because school has been closed for 2 weeks and I didnt hv to be driving around. Sunday school opens and it wont be so much fun then, Im sure.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading a Gulf News article in reference to the weather:

"Colonel Pilot Anas Al Matroushi, Deputy Director of Dubai Police's Operations Department for Transport and Rescue Affairs called on beachgoers to check the weather scene before going out by calling the operations room on 999 or by checking weather conditions in the media or the website www.weather.com."

This goes back to your previous entry on 999 calls. Even high level officials are asking people to call the emergency number to check on the weather!

(http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/08/02/04/10186936.html)

Seabee said...

Jad, thanks for the comment. I saw that in the paper - it amazes me that a senior police officer would tell people to dial the emergency number to check the weather forecast! What chance do we have of getting problems solved when official advice adds to the problem.