Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Temperatures up to 45 celcius...

...but skies beginning to clear"

That was the weather report on radio this morning and I was relieved to hear the second part.

It's the very worst weather in my opinion, air you have to eat rather than breathe.

Photo. Karen Dias Gulf News

The heat I can take, in fact I'm only happy in hot sunny weather. Humidity I hate but in fact that hasn't been bad at all recently, quite comfortable really.

But the dust. I can't think of anything worse and it's been like it for the past couple of weeks.

In New Dubai we have more than just the sand, we have cement dust from the construction. It gets everywhere, inside the car inside the apartment, onto and into everything.

Including us.

A few years down the track I suspect that there'll be an epidemic of bad health caused by it among all of us who've lived here during the construction boom.

5 comments:

Para Glider said...

Same here in Doha. The ongoing demolition orgy ensures that we're all getting our recommended daily dose of airborne concrete dust.

Ace said...

I can take the heat too but hate the murky air.

Those in demolition areas may be getting more than concrete dust in the mix. There is a lot of asbestos in those older buildings.

Sandie said...

Can we swap? I m too cold here in Oz!

Anonymous said...

I can't take the heat or the dust; to my friends who say that going to JBR at night time is a good idea I say they are idiots.

The general idea of summer in the UAE is you spend 99.9999% of it indoors. No ifs, no buts, no equivocations and no excuses.

Seabee said...

Anon@10.05, we go to JBR in the evening - but only to go from a/c car into a/c restaurant. I'm amazed at how many people are sitting outside in the dust and humidity to eat their meal.

Sandie I can understand that, friends have been telling me it's been a max of 12C in my home town and only about 4C overnight.