Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm irritated.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, and I know there are many more important things going on in the world, but it annoys the hell out of me.

At least two radio commercials are advertising special deals, and I quote, "until stocks last."

"Until stocks last" - oh come on!

The two advertisers are Bose and Seiko, hardly obscure names and I'm sure they're not using a one-man-band ad agency. Surely there's someone at the agency or the client who speaks English well enough to have noticed it. If not, they should hire a proof-reader who does.

2 comments:

trailingspouse said...

I sympathise, as I can be a real pedant when it comes to grammar/spelling/usage, even though I tell myself that English is a living language and is so popular partly because it is willing to change the rules. However this is clearly wrong, wrong, wrong! as it doesn't even make sense. My personal pet peeve in Dubai is making singular words plural, as in "equipments", "clothings" etc.

Seabee said...

That seems to be the American version of English - as in 'accommodations'. But then they take the 's' off 'maths'...